Monday, September 17, 2012

Banksy

                                    

An artist that changed my perspective on what "fine art" is has been Banksy. I was drawn to his artwork because it closely relates to what my personal art is about. It was a long journey to finally define my identity as a fine artist. It was about finally stopping trying to be like everyone else and accepting what drove me in life, which was social change.

Banksy took an underground art form and was able to make it acceptable and mainstream. He broke barriers of illegal activities being seen as something that should be appreciated. His ability to simplify very complicated and controversial concepts, I believe has made his artwork so successful.

The picture above shows a series of pieces that Banksy did on a wall that was built by Israel to separate itself from Palestine. It is incredible how insightful his images are, they demonstrate tension that has been created by the being built. Most importantly, it arises and sparks much needed discussion for not only the wall but many issues going on in our world today.





No comments:

Post a Comment